blog tracker

Monday, February 6, 2012

When the cat's away, the mice will play

Aaron's the cat. Me and Carter are the mice =)
 I made Valentine cookies despite the fact that I'm on a strict diet, and despite the fact that my son is the pickiest eater and I am trying desperately to get him eating healthy. FAIL.
 No pants + mommy's running shoes= awesome
 Another wonderful well-rounded meal. For breakfast I tried to offer him EVERYTHING. Oatmeal- no, cereal- no, applesauce- no. I keep making normal food for him, thinking one of these days he'll eat it, and then he won't touch it, and I get SO frustrated, like it really makes me mad seeing good food go to waste that he usually likes! I finally caved this particular morning, picked him up and showed him in the cupboard, and told him to pick out his breakfast.  SPRINKLES. Awesome nutritious choice there Carter. I gladly accept any advice for feeding toddlers at this point!!
 On a less stressful note, me sister Val and I had a baby shower for our cousin, Heather! It was just in time- she had her baby the very next day =)
 Val and Heather. Tender


2 comments:

PAUL + ALICIA+CAPRI said...

I love your shirt in that last pic! Capri used to be SO picky but lately she has been so good! Some things that I have heard help or have helped me.. My friend makes her little boy skip lunch, then he eats a really healthy dinner cause he is hungry (i couldnt do that but it might work?) or you can try avoiding snacks.
I used to put sprinkles in everything for Capri and then at least she would try it and know she liked it! I make sweet potato fries a ton and put paprika and oregano on them and call them tiger fries! she likes those! AND most of the time if I let her help me make whatever (like eggs) she will eat it! or peel an orange herself.. or open her string cheese herself.. ect. BUT I still have to literally sit by her, and feed her myself, (which is really annoying) and i bribe her with juice (emergen-c) in the morning if she eats all her eggs and oatmeal.. her purple "treat" (vitamin) at lunch if she eats all her lunch and then a real treat if she eats all of her dinner! Sorry that was long but I hope it helps! i was always so worried that Capri never ate anything healthy! but if none of that works.. im sure he will grow out of it, or its just a stage :)

Tiffanie White said...

I think the best advice I've been given and we {mostly} follow with little j. is NOT giving them options... It might take a few days or even weeks for him to understand this concept... he might even go hungry a couple meals but DO NOT give in to give him snacks- make him wait til the next meal. Jaxon's pediatrician from when we lived in Washington said to be very strict about that from the time they're little and they will learn to eat what you give them, or have nothing at all. Eventually they're going to eat, or at least try a meal because they will be that hungry.
Also, I've heard that if they don't "like something" don't give up... maybe wait a couple weeks but offer it to them again... Jaxon is a HUGE lover of vegetables and fruits, and overall he eats REALLY GOOD {sometimes my worry isn't what he is eating, more of how much} But we've always just tried and tried again. So yes, this is long too but I hope it helps- I know our little guys are about the same age so just don't give up and keep trying. Bottom line, don't give him options- but if you think you need to then ask him "do you want cereal or oatmeal" "do you want an orange or string cheese" give him two options and that's it. If he doesn't want either then let him go hungry, then try those same two options a couple hours later!

:) there's my two sense!