blog tracker

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Go to Church =)

Don't get the wrong impression- I'm not trying to be preachy or braggy, but I had one of those "Sunday" experiences that I've got to share. Aaron is out of town and we had a late night last night, so Carter ended up sleeping in, as did I. Needless to say, I knew there was no way we'd make it to Church on time, and then I felt very unmotivated to go at all. I figured Carter would be grouchy anyway and I'd have to deal with that the whole time. But, good for me, I put my game face on, (and my skirt and heels of course), and made it to Church.
After Sacrament, I spotted a friend whom I really don't know all that well, but I knew she had dislocated her ribs a few weeks ago, so I went to go check on her and see how's she's doing. Turns out there is probably worse damage under her ribs and they haven't healed right. She works 3 jobs- one being a teacher! And is married, but has no kids. I know she's so extremely busy and is probably physically and mentally exhausted most of the time. 
We were chatting about that, and I asked about her wanting to have kids in the near future. Turns out, they've been trying for a year, have been on fertility drugs, and nothing has helped. She doesn't even produce enough progesterone to hold a baby even if she did get pregnant. This friend of mine LOVES kids, and it's what she most wants out of anything in life. 
Now, I'm not a huge hugg-y person, and I don't like to cry in public, but in that moment, listening to her talk about her trials, I just felt so sympathetic. I hugged her and cried with her. I can't relate to her situation but it sure made me appreciate what I've got, and I can imagine the devastation of not being able to have kids. It would kill me.
I believe in miracles, as does she. I don't think it's fair that some people get pregnant "on accident" with a child they can't even provide for, while someone like my friend is denied that blessing. I'm confident that one day, this life or the next, she'll experience that joy, but for now I'm glad to have been at Church today. I'm grateful to have felt like I was there for someone, that she trusted me enough with her feelings and frustrations, and that I'll better know how to be a friend to her from here on out. 
Church isn't always about the lessons that an instructor teaches. I think we're supposed to go because you never know where the Lord will direct you.

And I'm grateful for this:
My silly, crazy little toddler who has the funniest personality =) I too often take motherhood for granted.

2 comments:

Megan Parkes said...

Amazing Steph! And just think, If I was there, that may not have happened for you because I probably would've been chatting you up. That's such a hard situation, and even harder to know how to be sympathetic right there on the spot & know what to say. I think the spirit guided you, and it's so great you listened and opened yourself up & maybe stepped out of your comfort zone. AND I'm kinda the opposite. I'm a hugger & a cryer. :)

Tasha said...

I love this post. =) Lord puts people in a way for a reason. And never apologize for giving your personal experiences- your testimony is a big part of who you are! =)